According to Doctors Without Borders, at least 47 people had been killed in a hospital in the city after an Israeli airstrike in the south of the Gaza Strip by midday on Sunday. The aid organization said that dozens of patients, many of them children and young people, had to be treated for severe burns at Nasser Hospital.
A photographer for the German press agency reported at the time that there were many body bags lined up in the clinic. The Israeli army did not initially release a statement on reports of attacks in the south of Gaza Strip.
Médecins Sans Frontières’ project manager in southern Gaza, Christophe Garnier, said: “The medical needs are enormous.” The group is ready to expand its operations, but to do so it needs “basic security guarantees and unrestricted access to medical and humanitarian supplies,” he said. “A ceasefire is a must, now more than ever, to stop the ongoing bloodshed,” he demanded.
Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant announced on Saturday that the attacks in the Gaza Strip would continue and soon be expanded to the south. The military has been calling on northern residents for more than a month to flee to a southern zone west of Khan Yunis on the Mediterranean. Most recently, residents of Khan Younis were also asked to flee for the first time.