GENESEE COUNTY, MI — The county’s newest audit report shows an old, lingering challenge — swiftly increasing overall health advantage charges for retirees and really tiny in the bank to spend the bill.
The audit by Plante & Moran shows the county’s total liability for the retiree overall health rewards was a lot more than $405 million as of Sept. 30 with just $9.four million in the bank to make payments that are anticipated to be a substantial public expense for the subsequent 30 years-plus.
The new numbers are the most recent proof of a lengthy-term drag on finances in the county, which in current years has paid roughly 1 of every single 3 dollars from its spending budget on fringe rewards for existing and retired workers.
Plante & Moran presented its audit to the county Board of Commissioners on Wednesday, March 15. Commissioners have been anticipated to meet in a workshop on Saturday, March 18, to talk about county finances in higher detail.
Right here are six highlights from the report:
- Retiree overall health care is projected to expense a lot more than $16 million in the existing fiscal year but the expense is projected to get worse just before it gets far better. Annual payments for the rewards are anticipated to top rated $20 million in the 2028 fiscal year, reaching $25 million by fiscal year 2038, and to continue above $25 million annually for a different six years. A reduce in the annual payments is not anticipated till 2044 and the spending is not projected to drop back to existing levels till 2052.
- The county pension method, which new personnel are no longer enrolled in, is in a far better monetary position than the retiree overall health care method. As of the finish of 2021, the county had pension savings of a lot more than $254 million and liabilities of a lot more than $363 million, creating the plan funded at practically 70%. The funded ratio of the pension plan has improved from 61 % in 2018 to 69.eight% on Dec. 31, 2021.
- The county’s all round fund balance — also recognized as its rainy-day fund — improved from $39.five million to $42.1 million in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, 2022. At the finish of the existing fiscal year, the unassigned fund balance for the common fund was $15.three million or 15.eight% of total common fund expenditures.
- As of the close of the existing fiscal year, the county’s governmental funds reported combined ending fund balances of $97.five million, an raise of $eight.9 million compared with the prior year. A substantial portion of the raise can be traced to the raise in home tax income and charges for solutions.
- The county utilised $three million in American Rescue Strategy Act funds in its most current spending budget, assisting it to add $two.six million in fund balance in the most current fiscal year. Spending improved from $106 million to $131 million, an raise of about 24%, mainly for the reason that of improved grant funding and transfers for capital projects.
- Mainly because of increasing charges, $25 million of the county’s fund balance is anticipated to be utilised in future years, according to the report. Amongst the suggestions in the document are that the county carry out lengthy-term forecasting for all funds, formal money-flow projections, and adopt a fund balance policy.
Study a lot more at The Flint Journal:
Flint shifts funding to purchase four new fire trucks. Here’s what’s on the way
Genesee County commissioners may perhaps adjust exactly where they sit to break up visual racial divide
Genesee County emergency purchases contain new roof at Crossroads Village
Snyder’s lawyer calls for Nessel to finish ‘insanity’ of continued Flint water prosecutions